Two Aruban Airlines Making Great Strides

July 25, 2011 by admin · Comments Off
Filed under: Airline News, Aruba News 

Last week, the official presentation of the Fokker 50 aircrafts to Insel Air International took place in Curacao. These are the new aircrafts acquired from KLM that will carry the Aruba logo. These aircrafts will be registered and stationed here on Aruba as soon as the AOC is completed. The Fokker 50’s will be part of the Insel Air International fleet along with their MD 80 which will all carry the Aruba branding. They will operate as a separate entity as Insel Air Aruba.

They are programmed to operate as of this year from Aruba to the following destinations: Curacao, Caracas, Barquisimeto, Miami, San Juan and Punta Cana. In the second phase, in 2012, they will begin flying to Sint Maarten, Valencia, Barranquilla, Medellin, Quito, San Jose and Havana, Cuba.

Insel Air also intends to lease a 737-800 aircraft with a seating capacity of 180 pax to fly to Newark and Sao Paulo, Brazil. As soon as the AOC is ready and they receive the ne­cessary permits from the US and Brazil these flights will begin operating.

Regarding Tiara Air Aruba with her two Shorts, they have received their Aruba branding and are in the process of acquiring the lease of a 737-300 aircraft with a capacity of 147 passengers. The new routes for Tiara Air Aruba are: Caracas, Fort Lauderdale, Valencia, Cucuta, Medellin and in the future Barbados and Boston.

Tiara Air Aruba is currently adapting their AOC to incorporate the operation of the 737-300 in their permits.

The government is extremely proud of the accomplishments and advances of these two airlines. The Minister of Tourism Otmar Oduber expressed praise for the cooperative agreement signed between Tiara Air, Insel Air and the government of Aruba last April 18. This agreement makes our local Airport a hub helping us to open new gateways in our region, but also at the same time serves our visitors and local population. We can now access destinations directly from Aruba with many more available seats.

Story courtesy of The Morning News

Refinery Status: Valero May Restart Aruba Refinery In September

July 30, 2010 by admin · Comments Off
Filed under: Aruba News, Business and Economy, Oil Industry, Press Releases 

Valero Energy (VLO) Tuesday said its Aruba refinery may resume operations after completing turnaround maintenance in September if it is profitable to do so.

Operations at Valero’s Benicia, California, refinery will return to full operating rates by late August following about 60 days of unplanned maintenance at a coker unit, the co. said Tuesday. The coker was shut June 19-20 and was originally expected to return to service by early August. Also, work continues to install an emissions-reducing scrubber at the plant; that project will be finished by the end of the year.

Valero will proceed with hydrocracker projects at its St. Charles refinery in Norco, Louisiana, to be completed in late 2013 and at its Port Arthur, Texas, plant that will be completed in late 2012, the co. said Tuesday. The FCCU at St. Charles will be revamped during the 2nd quarter of 2011. Also six coke drums will be replaced at Port Arthur.

And plant-wide turnaround is expected to take place at Valero’s Ardmore, Okla., refinery which will impact 1st quarter 2011 results.

Sunoco Inc. (SUN) Sunday shut the smaller of two FCCUs at its Philadelphia, Pa., refinery for one week of unplanned maintenance to repair a leak, a person familiar with operations at the plant said Monday.

A sulfur recovery unit at Pasadena Refining’s Pasadena, Texas, oil refinery will continue to operate Monday while repairs are made at an associated quench tower, a filing with environmental regulators said. The work to replace a valve at the tower will take approximately 12 hours.

Valero Energy (VLO) Friday reported maintenance at an exchanger in Complex 2 at its Texas City, Texas, oil refinery. The work, at an unspecified unit, started at around 10:00 p.m. Friday and will end at about the same time on Aug. 4, a filing to environmental regulators said.

Aruba Refinery Starting up Again

November 12, 2009 by admin · Comments Off
Filed under: Aruba News, Oil Industry, Press Releases 

SAN NICOLAS — The refinery at San Nicolas will become partially operational again. In this, owner and operator Valero wants potential buyer PetroChina to observe the refinery’s operation and its status. The starting up of facilities will take approximately three weeks.

The definite decision on whether the Chinese state-owned oil company will take over the refinery will be made after the observation. Meanwhile, Valero is looking for contract-workers to operate the relevant partial facilities.
It was only last week, when persistent rumors had circulated that Valero and PetroChina had agreed on the sale. Representatives of PetroChina had visited Premier Mike Eman last Thursday. He had indicated that the number of Chinese employees, which PetroChina required ‘was less than anticipated’. He had no indication on the Chinese wishes regarding tax arrangements.
Former-premier Nelson Oduber (MEP) had announced not so long ago that the negotiations with PetroChina had foundered, as the Chinese company had requested the employment of a substantial number of their own workers. In addition, PetroChina had supposedly demanded the same tax advantages and environment exemptions, which Coastal as Valero’s predecessor had enjoyed at the time.

Valero Energy Corp. has decided to close the company’s refinery in Aruba

October 4, 2009 by admin · Comments Off
Filed under: Aruba News, Business and Economy, Oil Industry 

Valero Energy Corp. has decided to close the company’s refinery in Aruba indefinitely because of unfavorable market conditions, a Valero spokesman said Wednesday.

The San Antonio-based refiner said in June it would close the Aruba plant for two to three months because the plant wasn’t profitable, and the plant stopped production in mid-July.

“It’s clear now that conditions have not improved any, and we don’t see any significant improvement in the near future,” Valero spokesman Bill Day said. “So the outage will be extended indefinitely.”

Employees at the plant, located on a Caribbean island off the coast of Venezuela, were told of Valero’s decision Wednesday.

Several hundred contract workers will be let go over the next two to three weeks, but about 780 Valero employees will keep their jobs, Day said. The employees will perform maintenance and receive training, he said.

The refinery has been losing tens of millions of dollars a month, Day said.

Demand for fuel is in a slump because of the troubled global economy, and the heavy crude oils the Aruba facility can process now are more costly to acquire. Those conditions have slammed the plant’s profitability.

When the plant was shuttered in June, Valero put it in “hot mothball” status, keeping key units powered up so the refinery could be re-started in a relatively short period of time. Now the plant is going to “cold shutdown” mode.

The plant’s status will be reviewed from time to time, “but we’re not setting a timetable for ourselves” to restart it, Day said.

Valero has had the refinery on the auction block since November 2007, but no buyer has emerged.

Source: mysanantonio.com

Book Your Wedding–And Get a Free Honeymoon

September 23, 2009 by admin · Comments Off
Filed under: Aruba News, Travel and Tourism 

You’ll always find plenty of good reasons to marry in Aruba or Curaçao thanks to the beauty of these islands and their incredible year-around weather–but now the two of you will find five more great reasons: a free five-night honeymoon.

If you book your wedding at the Renaissance Resorts in Aruba or Curaçao, you’ll receive a free five-night honeymoon at either resort! This “Double Your Paradise” promotion can be used in conjunction with any existing package or promotion that is offered at the time of the booking–all adding up to a significant savings.

With this package, you’ve got the option to spend your wedding and honeymoon at the same resort or wed at one and then hop over and honeymoon at the other. (That’s a great option for sharing your wedding joy with guests…but then heading out for a romantic honeymoon!)

Aruba: At the Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino, the bride and groom can treat their guests to a private island wedding ceremony and reception on the resort’s 40-acre Renaissance Island.

Curaçao: Couples can opt to wed at the Renaissance Curaçao Resort & Casino, the first new full-service, branded hotel to open in the Dutch Caribbean in 15 years. The resort’s Infinity Beach Club, located on a 19th century fort, boasts a private elevated beach with views of the Caribbean Sea.

“Our resorts in Aruba and Curaçao offer two distinct experiences, much like the two islands,” said Janien Huistra, Director of Sales and Marketing for the Renaissance Aruba and Renaissance Curaçao Resort & Casino. “We wanted to find a way to allow guests to celebrate their union at one resort and then enjoy a romantic honeymoon
- and a completely different experience – at the other. However, guests have the option to have both at the same property; couples are free to choose the combination they want.”

The Details: Guests must book 75 consecutive revenue-generating nights by December 31, 2009 and travel for the ceremony by December 31, 2010. Blackout dates apply to the free honeymoon, which may be taken any time during the travel window – up to one year after the wedding.

For More Information:

visit www.renaissancearuba.com and www.renaissancecuracao.com

Detained prison administrator Not being sent to Curacao

PHILIPSBURG–The Prosecutor’s Office has decided it will not be necessary to send E.E.R., the female Pointe Blanche prison administrator from Aruba detained on allegations of fraud, to Bon Futuro prison in Curacao.

Prosecutor Dikran Sarian also said that although the suspect’s attorney had requested that she be transferred to the Pointe Blanche prison from the police station, she probably would remain in the police cells until the end of the investigation, which he said should be wrapped up within a week.

The Prosecutor’s Office had initially opted not to keep E.E.R. detained at the Pointe Blanche prison during pre-trial detention because some of the money she is suspected of stealing belonged to inmates.

Chief Prosecutor Taco Stein had told The Daily Herald on Thursday, “You can imagine what might happen if the inmates learn that there is someone locked up amongst them who is suspected of stealing their money.”

E.E.R. was detained following an investigation into the disappearance of almost NAf. 200,000.

Source: The Daily Herald St. Maarten

FELIX NOW A CATEGORY 5 STORM

September 3, 2007 by admin · Leave a Comment
Filed under: Aruba News, Bonaire News, Weather 

Hurricane Felix strengthened into a dangerous Category 5 storm yesterday as it churned its way into the open waters of the Caribbean Sea after toppling trees and flooding some homes on a cluster of Dutch islands. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said Felix was packing maximum sustained winds of 165 mph as it plowed westward toward Central America, where it was expected to skirt Honduras’ coastline tomorrow before slamming into Belize on Wednesday as a hurricane capable of massive destruction.

On Sunday, Felix lashed Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire with rains and winds, causing scattered power outages and forcing thousands of tourists to take refuge in hotels. But residents expressed relief it did far less damage than feared as the storm’s outer bands grazed the tiny islands.

“Thankfully we didn’t get a very bad storm. My dog slept peacefully through the night,” said Bonaire medical administrator Siomara Albertus, who waited out the storm in her home with her Labrador Retriever.

The storm forced tens of thousands of tourists and residents on the three islands to remain in their homes and hotels, stocked with water, flashlights and emergency provisions.

In Curacao, about a dozen homes in a low-lying area were flooded. In Aruba, there was little visible damage, although at least one catamaran snapped off its mooring and a house was damaged by a downed tree. A northern settlement had a temporary power outage.

Many Bonaire residents had prepared for the worst, installing storm shutters and hauling their boats ashore, but the storm’s winds left little damage.

Felix became the second Atlantic hurricane of the season on Saturday evening, following Hurricane Dean, which left at least 20 dead in the Caribbean and carved out a destructive swath that stretched from St. Lucia to Mexico.

Monster hurricane builds in Caribbean

September 3, 2007 by admin · Leave a Comment
Filed under: Aruba News, Bonaire News, Weather 

WILLEMSTAD, Curacao: Hurricane Felix has become the second extremely dangerous category 5 storm of the season as it swept through the southern Caribbean on a path towards Central America and Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, US forecasters said.

On a similar – although more southerly – track as last month’s Hurricane Dean, which killed 27 people, Felix’s top sustained winds had increased to 270kmh yesterday, the US National Hurricane Centre in Miami said.

Forecasters at the centre said Felix was strengthening at one of the fastest rates seen.

Dawn broke on Curacao to reveal toppled trees and flooded streets but neither the Netherlands Antilles territory nor its sister island of Bonaire reported serious damage or casualties.

Meanwhile, Jamaica was under a tropical storm watch as it prepared to hold elections, already postponed from one week ago by Hurricane Dean.

Belize prepares for Felix…Beach woes in Jersey…Power outages in Califor…

September 3, 2007 by admin · Leave a Comment
Filed under: Aruba News, Bonaire News, Weather 

Belize prepares for Felix…Beach woes in Jersey…Power outages in California

ORANJESTAD, Aruba People in Belize are stocking up on supplies and boarding windows as Hurricane Felix churns toward them. The Category-5 hurricane with winds up to 165 miles per hour is over the Caribbean after knocking down trees and flooding homes on Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire.

Strengthened Felix heads toward Aruba

September 3, 2007 by admin · Leave a Comment
Filed under: Aruba News, Bonaire News, Weather 

Hurricane Felix has barrelled through the Caribbean with forecasters predicting a brush with Aruba and warning of its potential to strengthen.

Forecasters issued a tropical storm warning and hurricane watch for the islands of Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, popular tourist destinations in the Netherlands Antilles.

A tropical storm watch also has been issued for Jamaica, which is gearing up for violence-marred elections later today after Felix was upgraded overnight to Category Two strength on the Saffir-Sampson scale, which peaks at five.

US forecasters says Felix’s maximum sustained winds are currently 165kmh and its trek across the open waters of the Caribbean could allow it to attain major hurricane status within 12 hours.Hurricane Felix

Next Page »